Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Elijah's Birth Day Story!

Beware this will be the longest post ever but I want to remember every detail as best as I can!:) March 1st which was my due date and let's just say the day came and the day went with not too much fanfare. I went for my 40 week appointment and the doctor said that I was only 50% effaced and not dilated at all. He was gracious and scheduled my induction for the following Monday if our sweet boy decided to stay inside his nice home. Needless to say I left the doctor's office pretty discouarged but determined to walk this baby out the following week before I would be induced on March 8th. The rest of the week creeped by with great support from my amazing husband, awesome neighbors, and many wonderful friends.

My mom decided that she would go ahead and make the trip down to NC on Friday March
5th to entertain me while Jason worked on Friday and Saturday. That weekend passed pretty quickly with many hours of walking, eating good food, and enjoyed many wonderful memories before our lives would change forever. We decided ahead of time that on Sunday we would stay home from church to just rest and prepare for my induction the following day but that did not end up being the case!

Sunday morning I woke up feeling pretty crampy and a little different that just the reguar braxton hicks contractions that I had been feeling pretty regularly. We ate a nice breakfast and listened to a past sermon from our church before heading out for the first walk of the day. Since it was nice weather we chose to walk at the new park in Wake Forest. After walking for an hour we headed over to Moes for a delicious Mexican feast anxious to try anything that might spur on Mr. Elijah's arrival. Then we came back and I helped Jason with his bibliography for his Theology paper. I rested for a few minutes but I started having more contractions that I thought might be the real thing, but I was hesitant to say anything to Jason or my mom. I decided I would do my regular lap around the neighborhood to see if my contractions would increase. An hour later it was 6:00pm and Jason encouraged me to begin keeping track of my contractions. From 6:00-8:00 pm they were coming every 5-7 minutes. Around 8:00 I stopped by a dear friend's house to get her advice and ask her questions to see if I was really in labor. She was amazing and offered great support that really helped me. The three of us ended up walking up the huge hill several times in which my contractions became stronger and more frequent. By time I called my doctor my contractions were every 3-4 minutes apart. I decided that I would take a shower and eat one last bowl of icecream. My biggest fear throughout my pregnancy was that I would not be admitted to the hospital because I would not be in real labor. Therefore, when my doctor told me to come on into the hospital I was excited yet nervous.

We arrived at Rex Hospital and I was admitted at 11:30pm being 100% effaced and 3 centimeters dilated. After they hooked me up to all of the IV's we continued our practice of walking around the hospital. Around 2:30am I was getting pretty tired and decided to see if I could sleep. Well some things never change sure enough I slept off and on for about 2 1/2 hours. At 5:00am Jason was a saint and walked another couple of laps with me until the doctor came in and broke my water at 7:00am. Once that happened things started progressing rather quickly. In 45 minutes I progressed from 4 1/2 cm to 8cm. Around 10:30am I finally broke down and recieved an epidural which made the last few hours of labor more tolerable. My back labor was by far the worst part of the entire labor process, but I cannot complain about any of it because honestly I tell people I had a great labor experience. Right after noon I was given the okay to start pushing and at 1:22 pm Elijah Daniel entered the world weighing 8 lbs and 12 oz. and 22 inches long! After he was born the details become more fuzzy as my amazing OB Dr. G stiched me up and I was pretty exhausted from the previous labor experience. They gave Elijah his first bath and was cleared by the doctor. Then he ate for 30 minutes straight and earned his nick name piggy wiggy:)! Soon after we moved to our post-partum room and that is when the family was able to come meet our precious blessing from the Lord. We are so thankful and will continue to be reminded of God's grace in our life in giving us our first-born Elijah Daniel Purdy. Now I will leave you with one of his first pictures taken! Thanks for reading and check back soon for more updates!

1 comment: